Monday, February 18, 2008

Himalayas






Mountains ho!

I love mountains and my friend George Breed calls me Yamabushi, Japanese name for Mountain Spirit. The sight of snow-clad peaks, wooded trek routes, circuitous paths leading to a lone temple up a mountain, surrounded by silence and the clouds gives me a high and I can write and speak no end about them.
I can never say what happens there, but each time I visit, for just a week or ten days, there's material enough to write for a book with exclusive photographs of nature's grandeur and several articles published in The Hindu, the newspaper I continue to write for.
My visit is often a call. And soon the preparations are on, arrangements made and I am ready to go with my backpack and thermals. I wish to travel around the mountains of the world and I know they are all going to make me feel the same - the breath of rarefied air, nipping cold, moving mists, silvery snow and green topped mountain slopes. When I come back, there is sheer experience and loads to tell those who wish to listen!
Metro Plus, Young World , Sunday Magazine, my first trip, story ideas spring, wellness and trekking, snow walk.
- Swahilya Shambhavi.
(Picture: Snow-covered slopes of the Himalayas with sunlight trickling through the deodar trees at Dugalbhitta near Tungnath last December.
A view of the Grand Canyon, USA taken by Aravind Venkataraman, an avid ski enthusiast who also loves to trek in the Grand Canyon. I have a strong belief that the Canyon, which is more a mountain from the basement will have the same feel for me as the Himalayas. I look forward to visiting there sometime.)
(Maha Shivaratri, Patanjali Yoga Sutra, Bhagavad Gita, Vignana Bhairava Tantra, Indians in Chicago, swahilya.soulmate@gmail.com)


22 comments:

fruitu said...

nice pic and nice post, looking forward to know about your Himalayan experiences.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome fruitu. I have enough info and pics for at least three books now!

fruitu said...

thats gr8, neer petra inbam peruga ivvaiyagam.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Thank you Fruitu!

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

How glorious!!! And how special you have such a connection with God.

Hugs, JJ

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

And connection with all of you too JJ! Thank you.

Maithri said...

Oh wow, You took me there for a moment.. to the mountaintop, to the rarified air...

Thank you my friend,

Love, M

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome Maitri, love to take you there and show what I've seen.

Oberon said...

......i remember feeling very small in the world when i first saw the grand canyon.....and i also felt very special to be a part of a world that had such wonders in it.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Yes Oberon, even in the Himalayas I have felt that way many a time - all problems that seemed like a mountain, become like a soda fizz in such a presence.

Virtual said...

Himalaya... The Deva Bhoomi (The Gods Land) and the abode of Shiva... How encompassing it is to get submerged in the vibrations of generations of yogi in those mountains... I read your another article in Hindu Swahilya and enjoyed it much.. your trip to Rudra Prayaag... Although I did not like the photo that you posted there as it did not convey the beauty that place has...
Om Namah Shivaya
Virtual

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Virtual: Thank you. I share your feelings about the photo too! There were many beautiful pictures of snow in the deodar forests....but I can't do much...all this happens!

Zareba said...

Beautiful and intuitive. I am just now getting caught up with your travels and observations. I would like to be on line more but tire too easily, so my pace is now neck and neck with a snail.

May sunshine and joy find you every day.

...Z

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome Zareba, nice to see you!

Ray Gratzner said...

Dear swahilya, my first thought was when I read your post Himmalaya, well the mountains look like the grand canyon, but at the end I learnt it was the grand canyon.
I find your desire for mountains very likeable.

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Hi Ray,
The photo is the Grand Canyon while what I have written is about the Himalayas. Now that I have come back to India, I'll soon post a picture of the Himalayas too there that was recently taken.

Virtual said...

Dear Swahilya...

Liked your new article on in Hindu few days back. I was wondering how you get time to travel through train journeys... which I simply adore as it reminds me of my childhood days when every year summer holidays we used to go to our village in eastern UP. Its so nostalgic and for me so interesting that I travelled from Singapore to Kualalumpur through Train as I personally feel that Trains give you a better perspective on the local people / heritage / nature than the other modes of travel.
Om Namah Shivaya
Virtual

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome Virtual, Yes trains are nice to travel in - I wrote a long poem on the Yoga of the Indian Railways when I was inspired while travelling between Chennai and Coimbatore once.

Virtual said...

Thanks for your reply. Can we chat on emails some time.. my email id is virtual.citizen@gmail.com

A poem on "Yoga of Indian railways" seems different. Can you share that with me some time. I would like to share few intersting pictures of my recent trip to the village and about the people around the platform there with you too.

Om Namah Shivaya
Virtual

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome Virtual. Thank you. Yes we can chat. I have mentioned my chat ids in my posts. Again it is swahilya.soulmate@gmail.com
I think the poem on Indian Railways is posted somewhere in my very early posts on Aham 2005. I'll look up for it sometime.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Swahilya, I remember this post now. The mountain photos are breathtaking. Ethereal. Beautiful.

Wild wave!!!

Hugs, JJ

Swahilya Shambhavi said...

Welcome JJ....just gave it another try! http://www.hindu.com/mp/2008/03/31/stories/2008033150230300.htm